'Full of such sensual detail that to read it is to breathe it in.'
- Jo Shapcott [review, Greyhound Night Service]

'And things we're all too young to know'...


New Year, new start, new approach. New Year 2012 began with a change of plans. Instead of the party I had intended to go to last night, myself and a friend headed into the city for a meditation evening. Though I hadn't yet thought about the best way to ring in the new year, as soon as this idea came up I knew it was where I needed to be.

The candle-lit, warm room held our thoughts, our chants, our letting go of the past year. Someone read a quote by Goethe that was especially poignant--

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back...the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision
, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

This year I have committed to having a meaningful and nurturing relationship with myself. To look after myself and do what I need to find peace, happiness and grounding. To start saying 'no' to things that don't support that way of life. To stop the chaotic busyness. To notice the remarkable things every day.

Today's Remarkable Things

1. Diagonal rain pelting my neighbour's roof and, unseen, my own roof too.

2. Pumpkin and chocolate cake with Chinese tea.

3. An empty sofa on which to read poetry.

4. The end of the holiday season is just the beginning of a new way of life.


Happy New Year

Comments

  1. You ended 2011 in meditation, and I started 2012 in meditation. I love you, hottie. That is all. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment