'Full of such sensual detail that to read it is to breathe it in.'
- Jo Shapcott [review, Greyhound Night Service]

Snowy showers


Today as it started sleeting cats and dogs outside, I remembered that I'd left my car windows open. I know it's winter but the morning had been fresh and sunny and my car always needs some bracing air, so I'd left the windows slightly open. Running through the house to find shoes, then car keys, it was in full snow/rain mode by the time I got out the front door, and just as I approached the car I went skidding across the grass then took a huge face-first slide landing in the mud an inch from my front tyre.

I got back to the house with my jeans plastered in goo, my fleece jacket soaked, my hair dripping and a very sore wrist from how I landed in my nose-dive. And while changing and drying myself, I felt a funny niggle in me and realised...ah! I'm feeling restless!

Despite the sleet and cold (it's now -2 outside) and dreary Saturday-it's-as-light-out-as-it-was-at-7 a.m. and the now wet car seats, I could feel something in me getting restless, as if it just wanted to burst back out of the house and run around like a mad woman in the wet wet streets.

Needless to say I did not go back out. I took Arnica and hoped my wrist was just a sprain. And sitting here musing about how late it is, and that I don't have to get up early tomorrow, I realised I was still feeling restless...and when restless, the only thing I can do is write.

That pretty much brings us up to the present moment. Restless. Hm. It feels like everything in me is tired of all the difficult stuff that's happened lately. But it also feels like something new (and possibly exciting) is going to happen. Something good I hope. And it feels like all the plants that've been hibernating underground are starting to stir and make for the sun (if it comes out). Maybe this is wishful thinking towards Spring or maybe it is something about to happen. Who knows? It's interesting and it's nice to feel this in a light-hearted way that only a muddy slide in freezing temperatures can bring on.


Comments