'Full of such sensual detail that to read it is to breathe it in.'
- Jo Shapcott [review, Greyhound Night Service]

What a lovely way to burn


Now this is what I call summer in England! 30C / 86F today and counting... The past few days I've been relishing this lovely hot hot sun and almost-baking air...and then at nighttime the problem arises. I've got the skylight open full but my bedroom windows (we have no screens on windows here) have to be nearly closed or my cats take the opportunity to go out hunting and bring every half-alive night creature into my bed. So it gets very stuffy very quickly. Last night after I turned off the light I watched a golden-coloured full moon rise and I had these thoughts in mind as I was falling asleep--

I wonder is there a giant spider crawling through the window now...

it's really hot in here

How many times is too many times to listen to Cosmic Love?

maybe I should sleep outside

I wonder is the giant spider already in my bed?

wow it's hot in here


I should mention I had an encounter with one of those dog-size spiders very recently and I'm still freaking out about it! My cats are even scared of them. I just Googled 'Giant House Spider' and it's terrifying. They really do exist here (I'm saying this to any American friend I have reading this who may doubt me). I have had to battle with them many times. I will not put a photo on this blog or I will never check my blog again, but I will put the website where you can see them. Giant House Spider
And the worst thing is that it says "Often found near window openings." Maybe I'll just roast in the heat at night rather than risk leaving my windows open. Why oh why don't we have screens? It's not as if insects don't exist in the UK...

All of it is worth the heat though; it's so nice to actually be warm once or twice a year.

Comments