'Full of such sensual detail that to read it is to breathe it in.'
- Jo Shapcott [review, Greyhound Night Service]

Bonfire in Lewes


The skyline last night in my town. Bonfire Night! And the thing I love most about it all is the how the entire town looks on fire, medieval with flame and even from a mile away you can look to the sky and see exactly where the torches are still burning.

It was a great night and a great housewarming party that we had for both my new housemate and myself. After two years and numerous amounts of trouble in this house, I feel thoroughly warmed by friends and a night of just pure fun.

And I realise how much has happened this year and especially since the end of July when I went away for my two writing retreats in a row but especially on my trip to the Outer Hebrides. I haven't written about that here and I suspect I may in the coming days now that I'm reflecting on it and the magical quality of the island and the people.

Remarkable things:

1. Outdoors in the elements last night--fire and icy breeze, clear moon, warm ginger beer
2. Cycles--old and new, past and present and how they sometimes touch one another and combine and diverge and grow.
3. Silence after a night of fireworks and bangers and drumming. Pure silence except for the clicking of these keys.

Comments