'Full of such sensual detail that to read it is to breathe it in.'
- Jo Shapcott [review, Greyhound Night Service]

Speechless

I'm posting this photo for a friend of mine who always tries to see a sunset into the ocean and never quite manages to. I've not written lately because just so much has been going on there's been no time to stop. But then after a very busy day yesterday, miraculously, today had some time...

I spent the weekend with two close friends, we went away for a sort of work / down-time couple of days meaning some of us had to work and others tagged along. Before leaving for the trip (a five hour road trip each way which turned into 7 hours on the way there due to an accident), I wasn't so sure I wanted to go.

And as the trip approached I just thought, oh okay I'll go and just try to have some time off, it's better than working all weekend at home. So the journey up was the journey up and the first day passed rather uneventfully. Then on Sunday something strange happened and one of my friends and I started having a very in depth conversation about relationship. Much more in depth than we've ever had even though we've known each other for 5-6 years. The conversation just started somehow and carried on for the rest of the night, then into the next day in the car on the way home. We dropped the other at her destination on the way back and we kept on talking for another few hours.

At the time it seemed interesting and I was curious about what my friend had to say about her life and her relationships, especially as we'd never talked this way before. And the more she told me the more I saw her in a different way. In a way that's quite difficult to describe other than to say there was an element of me feeling I was left speechless over the enormity of suddenly knowing her better. And now, a day later, I still feel a bit speechless and I realise how glad I am that I went on that trip. And how much I miss both of them now that I'm back home on my own again with no words to add up to the experience I had with my friend, just an image of a sunset into the sea for her.

Comments