'Full of such sensual detail that to read it is to breathe it in.'
- Jo Shapcott [review, Greyhound Night Service]

Some sugar

Warming up today with a little snack and an extra pair of socks. I'm currently sitting in my sister's house next to her xmas tree (very nicely decorated). What a thing it is to wake up here, in her house again. Though the new black-out curtains in my room kept me happily sleeping later (woke at 7:45 this morning as opposed to the 4, 4:30, 6 a.m. starts of this week), I woke and opened the curtains onto a...erm...rainy and very very England-esque day! So we're having an indoors extravaganza. Which I'm thinking will mean lots of Season 4 Dexter. We've just started watching and I'm thoroughly gruesomed-out already. Fantastic!

As I'm perusing the internet and avoiding the one thing I said I'd do (answer old emails) I came across another "Living Liner Notes" by one of my favourite bands, Sugarland. This cheered me up and gave me the line for my blog post title. And it got me thinking about my moment of waking up this morning. Yes, so I woke up and stretched and blew my nose 10 times as usual and then lay back down and thought, wow, I can't believe my sister and her husband have already been married more than 7 years. That is amazing! And their house is so amazing: beautiful views, decorated in a very-them way, complete with my niece: Ruby the cat. I'm amazed how proud I am of them and the life they've built together. This is starting to sound mushy, but I always feel mushy when in the US!

I'm so often only surrounded by things of newness, or recentness, or yeah, both. I mean, in my house, because of all the transitions and moving nearly every year for the past 7 years, so much changes and is only temporary. My mother and father's house, where I've been since Saturday, is of course full of permanentness, but the things and feel of the place is from my childhood, no matter how adult I am when I'm there. My sister and brother-in-law's house is different. It is like being in a house I might be living in if I'd stayed in the US and life had taken a different path. Like that but not. I used to always think about the possible parallel I'd be on if I'd stayed in the US, but lately it rarely occurs to me, unless of course, I'm here. Overall the factor that's most present in the house is caring and how much they care for one another. Good energy to absorb and be around when on vacation. And damn have I been needing this time away from work, especially without any summer hols this year. Time for another snack and some more Dexter serial killing soon...spread the love.

Comments